book a room
Plan Your Stay
About Us and Hatteras Island
Cape Hatteras Bed and Breakfast is located on the corner of Old Lighthouse Road and Cottage Avenue. All rooms have private entrances, so you are free to come and go for a moonlit beach stroll, or after a late dinner, providing more privacy and freedom than many bed and breakfasts. Our rooms are named after famous hurricanes, Hugo, Gloria, Gilbert, Agnes, and Charlie on the first level, and Emily, Mitch and Andrew on the second level. Each room has a private bath, flat screen cable TV, small refrigerator, coffee pot with complimentary in-room coffee and tea set-up, and most rooms have a microwave. There are rooms with queen size beds, king size beds, two double beds, and one suite.
We encourage and provide special requests for romantic getaways, such as wine, champagne, fruit, and cheeses to make Cape Hatteras B&B your home away from home. We also understand special dietary considerations with advanced notice. Travel light and keep us in mind for quick escapes, sanity breaks, and relaxing vacations. We know our island, so let us know if you would like any suggestions.
Amenities for you
For you comfort and enjoyment we offer our sundeck with comfortable tables and chairs and an inviting lobby on the first floor with a small library, sitting area, and an ice machine. Porches are in front of the rooms so that you can spend more time outdoors, sit and dust off the sand, relax, and enjoy the weather. We have lockable surfboard or sailboard storage, and complimentary beach towels, bicycles, beach chairs, coolers, and beach bags. We have hot and cold outdoor showers when you return from our beach, Ocracoke Island, Pea Island, or from Pamlico Sound. You may choose to use the gas grill on the deck, or simply relax, and contemplate which restaurants to explore. The property is decorated with flowers and herbs that have been nurtured for years. You will be amazed at the large palm tree in the front yard, and entertained, during nesting season, by the purple martins in the bird house in front of the B&B.
Walk a short distance or a quick drive to shops for gifts, art galleries, books, clothing, souvenirs, kite boarding, surfing, fishing, windsurfing, and great restaurants. The village of Buxton is located on Hatteras Island, one of a number of barrier islands that make up the Outer Banks. Buxton is one of the villages surrounded by Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Cape Hatteras, Hatteras Island, and the Outer Banks are famous for miles of protected and undeveloped beaches. Here you can enjoy the solitude and natural beauty of the animals, birds, forests, beaches, and ocean. The area is well-known to visitors for the history, beauty, and recreation.
This is the land of Black Beard the Pirate, Cape Hatteras National Seashore with miles of beautiful protected beaches, the historic Graveyard of the Atlantic, east coast windsurfing and kite boarding site Canadian Hole, Cape Point for spectacular surf fishing, Buxton Woods Maritime Forest for hiking, Pamlico Sound for kayaking, and most famous of all, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Cape Hatteras Bed and Breakfast was named for the Island, the Cape, and for the Lighthouse that still shines upon us every night. See local Attractions for more ideas.
We encourage you to book through our Availability tab for a Calendar View to select the room you prefer.
The best Hatteras Island attractions are just minutes away!
• Explore 70 Miles of Cape Hatteras National Seashore.
• Vacation at a top 10 beach for 2012 as rated by Dr. Beach.
• Climb our beloved Cape Hatteras Lighthouse during the summer season and visit the adjacent visitors’ center.
• Stunning ocean and sound facing beaches.
• Gift shops, tackle shops, ice cream shop, convenience stores, and mini golf within walking distance.
• Walk or a short drive to popular Buxton restaurants with local menus and the latest chef creations as the restaurants compete to be the islands best.
• Hatteras Islands South Beaches.
• Buxton Woods Coastal Reserve and nature trail.
• Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge.
• Local marinas at Hatteras Inlet and Oregon Inlet.
• Charter fishing trips to the Gulf Stream.
• Boat tours and water cruises.
• Watching the day’s catch come in at the fishing docks.
• Exceptional kite boarding, windsurfing, surfing, skim boarding, paddle boarding, para sailing, and kayaking.
• Cape Hatteras Lighthouse jetty surfing.
• Canadian Hole & Kite Point sound beaches.
• Ride Hatteras Surf Shop
• The Lost Colony Outdoor Drama
• Bodie Island Lighthouse
• Fort Raleigh and Elizabethan Gardens
• Flight seeing tours
• Wright Brothers Monument
• North Carolina Aquarium
• Ferry trips to Ocracoke Island
• Ocracoke Island Lighthouse